I know that you don’t walk up to every member of your staff and shout in their face that they are a meaningless layer of scum on the bathtub of existence, but you might as well have. Your employees already know that you think they are worthless because of the environment and the tools that you have given them to work in.
They have old and creaking uncomfortable chairs which tell them that you don’t care about whether their backs are sore after a full day of hunching over the computer for you. They have bad florescent lighting which shows that you don’t mind if their eyes hurt and they have headaches at the end of the day. They have completely disorganized filing systems, which means that it takes them ten times longer to find that important contract or memo when they need to and you don’t care.
Basically, the environment that you create for your employees to work in shows them how much you care about their success and productivity. Give them a poor environment to work in and pretty soon they will feel like drones in a factory, waiting for their escape.
But My Employees Aren’t Worthless!
“They are not worthless at all!” you might protest. You are correct of course, they are in fact one of the most important resources that you have. If your employees can be inspired to do well, they will propel your company to new heights that you could not have imagined before.
Part of managing a team is about hiring great employees and the other part is about bringing out their best work. This includes giving them the best environment to work in that you can. There are many ways that you can show your employees that you think they are amazing and encourage them to perform the very best they can.
- Give them an ergonomic chair to work in. Poor quality chairs will cause back and neck strain, cut off circulation to the legs and cause your employees to be very uncomfortable throughout the workday. They won’t get much done if they are constantly getting up to stretch their sore backs.
- Upgrade the lighting in your office. A high quality lighting system will reduce eye strain and will keep your employees feeling refreshed rather than tired and headachy.
- Help them get organized. Put some effort into developing a filing and storage system that is easy for everyone to understand and stick to it! This will make finding important documents not such a nightmare.
- Give them computers that work. It can be unbelievably frustrating to try to complete a project on a computer which keeps freezing, crashing or going aggravatingly slow. If you can supply your employees with the technology that they need they will be able to do their job faster and easier.
- Go above and beyond every once in a while. After you have upgraded the office to a good condition, you don’t have to stop there. If you want your team to really know how much you appreciate them you can offer them special rewards for when they do well. For example, you could promise to upgrade to a higher quality coffee maker when the office meets a certain target. That way, each employee gets a tangible reward for their hard work.
Take a moment to look around your office and ask yourself whether you are making your employees feel worthless by subjecting them to your outdated equipment and furniture. Could you make an investment in the working environment that would pay off in employee productivity?
Are all of your office facilities outdated and falling apart? How do you think that makes your employees feel about how important they are? You can find some good quality cheap office furniture online that will make your office a much better place to work.